- CA QUA09543
- Conceptual entity
The Ukrainian community of Kingston began to coalesce in the 1940's, although there had been a small number of Ukrainians living in Kingston throughout the interwar period and were a small number who had resided in Kingston just prior to the First World War.
The Ukrainian Canadian Club of Kingston was founded in 1980 as a result of differences of opinion about the use of the Parish Hall. The Club was focussed on supporting the political, cultural and social traditions, in particular the two dance troupes which were in the community: Ukrainian Dorist Dancers and the Ukrainian Maky Dancers. The mandate of the Group was to preserve and promote Ukrainian Heritage. It is unknown when the Kingston branch of the Canadian League for the Liberation of Ukraine was officially formed, though it is known that the national organization was founded in 1949. The group was formed of mainly third-wave Ukrainian immigrants and thought to be quite political. Throughout the era of the Cold War the League was one of the national groups at the forefront of defending the human and national rights of Ukraine. They supported Ukraine’s struggle for independence and other captive nations opposing Soviet Russian domination. St. Michael the Arcangel Ukrainian Catholic Church was founded in 1949 and a decade later a hall was built at 472 Bagot Street and used primarily for meetings, folk dancing and banquets. The Parish services moved to the Hall in 1980, prior to this it was held at St. Mary's Cathedral.
The Ukrainian Parish Hall as served as meeting place and home to the Ukrainian Canadian Club and the Canadian League for the Liberation of Ukraine at one time or another.