Fonds F00641 - Cataraqui Cemetery Company fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Cataraqui Cemetery Company fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1853-1999 (Creation)
    Creator
    Cataraqui Cemetery Company

Physical description area

Physical description

7.8 m of textual records and other material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1850-)

Administrative history

Established at the beginning of the nineteenth century as a village burial ground, the Charter of the Cataraqui Cemetery Company was handed down on August 10, 1850, by the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Canada. The cemetery was developed in a rural garden theme, after the pattern of Mount Auburn in Boston and Mount Hope in Rochester, New York. With winding roadways through rolling terrain, ponds and watercourses throughout the 100 acres of ground, it is truly a beautiful resting place. The earliest list of lot holders is a veritable Who's Who of Kingston and includes Sir John Alexander Macdonald, the Father of Confederation, Thomas Kirkpatrick, First Mayor of the Town of Kingston, John Counter, First Mayor of the City of Kingston, and Sir Alexander Campbell, a Father of Confederation and a former Lieutenant Governor of Ontario.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of a Register of lot owners, 1856-1897; cash book, 1853-1883; minutes, 1853-1914; plans; various maps, including the original linen map by Frederick Cornell; assorted deeds; and Burial Registers, arranged chronologically, 1853-1978.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

On deposit from the Cataraqui Cemetery Company. Marjorie Simmons, 27 March 2003.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

2277
5077.1
V036
MF 6064-6065
KAD 61
F3 B11
F3 B12
F3 D16
Map 5
(301) Outsize

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Open

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Public domain

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres

Location (use this to request the file)

  • Shelf: 2277
  • Shelf: 5077.1
  • Shelf: V036
  • Shelf: MF 6064-6065
  • Shelf: KAD 61
  • Shelf: F3 B11
  • Shelf: F3 B12
  • Shelf: F3 D16
  • Map cabinet: Map 5
  • Shelf: (301) Outsize