Series S3 - Committees

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Committees

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Series

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1906-2001 (Creation)
    Creator
    Beth Israel Congregation

Physical description area

Physical description

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1908-)

Administrative history

Founded as a singular Jewish community in Kingston in 1908, Beth Israel Orthodox Congregation was so named on October 9, 1910, when Simon Oberndorffer laid the cornerstone for Kingston's first synagogue building. The shul was located at 148 Queen Street and adopted the name. Beth Israel Orthodox congregation members are served through a variety of programs and events, such as adult education, a Talmud Torah School, Jewish community events, and regular Friday evening and Saturday services. Most significantly, Beth Israel gives people the opportunity to share life cycle events and to feel part of a vibrant Kingston Jewish community. While established as an Orthodox congregation, in 2012, Beth Israel adopted the ritual of the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism in its egalitarian form allowing every member of the “Kehilla” (congregation) to participate fully and equally in all religious practices.
Its mission is as follows: "The Beth Israel Congregation is committed to meeting the religious, educational, social and cultural needs of our members in a warm, welcoming, and supportive atmosphere. Beth Israel is a house of worship and also a meeting place for the wider Jewish community in Southeast Ontario."

Custodial history

Scope and content

This series is comprised of material created by a variety of standing and ad hoc committees of the Board covering the variety of responsibilities, activities and business such as education, facilities, finances, spiritual life and celebrations that the Synagogue is responsible for formulating and managing for the congregation. This includes records from the following committees: Finance; Membership; Personnel (including Rabbi search committees); Building (concerned with the Synagogue); House (pertaining to Otterburn); Finance; Anniversaries; Honours, Talmud Torah; Youth Group; Adult education; Ladies Auxiliary; Ritual; and, Cemetery.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres