Title and statement of responsibility area
Congregational Church (1864-1923)
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Powell, James William
Physical description area
- 1 photograph : b&w ; 25.4 x 20.3 cm
- 2 photographs : b&w negatives ; 35 mm
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
James William Powell became an apprentice photographer with Sheldon & Davis in 1867. He opened his first business in 1868 as Powell & Tobey in Napanee, Ontario. By 1873, he had opened his own studio in Kingston, Ontario. His studios were located at 135 Wellington Street over King's Drug Store from 1875 to the early 1880's, at 43 Brock Street (part of the Anchor Block), then finally at 165 Princess Street in 1883.
In 1894, James Powell became blind after suffering from a stroke. His wife, Jane, and son, Haffell, continued the business from this point until 1906.
Scope and content
Angled view of the Congregational Church.
Immediate source of acquisition
Copied from Powell negative #8210-A 2092 WCP
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Original glass plate negative is part of the Powell Collection.
Also have contact prints in Duplicate File.
Located at 126 Wellington Street, the First Congregational Church was built in 1864-1865 according to the plans of architect John Power. When the Congregationalists affiliated with Chalmers Church in 1923 the building was sold to the Masons for the Masonic Temple.
Conservation code: 1
A copy negative of this image is available.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Description created 24/04/2000. Last updated 23/04/2013. Archivist: Stewart Renfrew.