Title and statement of responsibility area
County of Frontenac fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- County of Frontenac
Physical description area
22 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
As one of the earliest settled areas in Ontario, the area comprising Frontenac County has evolved through every stage of municipal growth in over two hundred years of recorded history. The Loyalists settled in the first municipal areas, survey units called townships. As it was necessary to provide for the maintenance of law and order and the settlement of minor disputes, a number of magistrates, by an ordinance of 1785, were given limited civil jurisdiction The Loyalists, however, were accustomed to a substantial amount of great local automony. To satisfy these concerns and to provide for a rudimentary judicial and administrative system for the new settlers, Lord Dorchester, the Governor-in-Chief, divided the area into four Districts (Luneberg, Mecklenburg, Nassau and Hesse). At the same time he appointed judges of the Court of Common Pleas, justices of the peace, a sheriff, a clerk for the Court of Common Pleas, and of the sessions of the peace, and coroners in each district.
As early as 1800, certain townships -- for example, Amherst, Simcoe, Wolfe and Howe Islands, were added to the Frontenac County responsibilities. From time to time, certain townships were withdrawn and administered by other county jurisdictions. With the Act of Union in 1841 municipal government was established in Canada. Thus, from 1842 the Midland District Municipal Council administered this area of present-day Ontario. The Council consisted of twenty members. John Bennett Marks became the first Warden of the Midland District Council. This system of municipal government remained in effect until the passage of the Municipal Act of 1849 which is commonly called "the Baldwin Act."
In 1850 the United Counties of Frontenac, Lennox and Addington came into being. The first Council Meeting of the new United Counties met on January 28, 1850. The sixteen-member Council appointed David Roblin from Richmond Township as the first Warden.
This system of municipal government remained in effect until September 7, 1864 when the separation of the Counties of Frontenac and Lennox and Addington occurred. The first session of the Council of the new County of Frontenac was held on January 24, 1865. D.D. Calvin, the Reeve of Wolfe Island, was elected the first warden of the newly separated County. Since then Frontenac County has consisted of the following townships: Barrie; Bedford; North and South Canonto; Palmerston; Clarendon and Miller; Hinchinbrooke; Kennebec; Kingston; Loughborough; Olden; Oso; Pittsburgh; Portland; Howe Island; Storrington; and Wolfe Island.
The same basic structure remained until amalgamation was ordered by the Provincial Minister on January 7, 1997. The City of Kingston was joined with two townships (Pittsburgh and Kingston), and the 14 remaining townships were incorporated into four newly alligned municipalities (Central Frontenac, North Frontenac, South Frontenac, Frontenac Islands). The amalgamation became effective as of January 1, 1998. The County of Frontenac no longer exists as an administrative body but has been replaced by the new municipalities.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records relating to the operation of the municipality of Frontenac County from 1837 until the 1970s. The fonds has been arranged into the following series: Correspondence; Financial records; County bylaws; County Council Minutes and Proceeedings; Roads and bridges; Education; Tenders; Subject files; Reports; Canadian Patriotic Fund; and, Rigney legal firm. Of particular note is a group picture of Frontenac County Council 1901, members identified, in Council Chamber. Included too, is a Bailiff's Process Book for the 6th Division Court (1887-1905); and Voters' Lists for the Township of Storrington.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated by Mr. Robert Silver, County Clerk - 1987, 1991; Kingston-Frontenac Public Library.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
The following is a list of Frontenac County Records potentially requiring mandatory exemption to access under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Individual Privacy Act. Questions about access to these records should be directed to : Records Manager, County of Frontenac, Court House, Court Street, Kingston, Ontario. Phone (613) 548-4202. Resumes Copies of Permits Membership fees and professional fees Records of Payments made to investors Expense claims Records of grants made to individuals Payroll registers Records of payments of salary, wages and deductions to employees Parking tickets and rentals Records regarding employee attendance Accident reports, Workers' Compensation reports Records regarding competitions Employee training records Liability claims made by other parties Records of births, deaths and marriages Records regarding prosecutions Complaints, commendations, requests for information Vandalism reports, Accident Reports Records of investigations into occurrences and responses Applications, License holders Documentation related to the prosecution of individuals Burial permits, plot ownership records, interment registers Records regarding individual residents of Fairmount Home for the Aged Records regarding individual welfare recipients Medical Records of individuals Individual/Vehicle Accident Reports In addition Boxes 31, 33, 35, 37 and Oversize 55, 57, 62, 68 are marked with asterisks beside files which require permission to access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Assessment rolls (1932-1997) for the former Township of Kingston are available through the City of Kingston Records Management Department.
Further accruals are expected
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Description created on 1999/08/27. Last updated 28/06/2017.
Archivist(s): George Henderson, Ken Willmott, Paul Banfield
Language of description