Fonds F01672 - Crowe Family fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Crowe Family fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00239 F01672

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1821-1984 (Creation)
    Creator
    Crowe (family)

Physical description area

Physical description

1.6 m of textual records, ca. 335 photographs : b&w

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(n.d.)

Biographical history

In 1831, the Rev. John Brooks Crowe settled in the Trenton, Ontario area. By the time of his death in 1869, he had become one of the more prosperous and influential citizens of both Trenton and Frankford regions. His youngest son, George, became one of the premier contractors and builders in the Trenton district. Among the buildings bearing his imprint are the paper mills at Frankford and Glen Miller, as well as the Anglican Churches at Workworth and Trenton.

George Crowe's eldest son, Dr. Walter Brooks Crowe, built a large and flourishing practice in the town of Trenton, after obtaining his medical degree from trinity College, Toronto. In 1901 he married Alice May Stevenson, the daughter of Dr. John Alexander Stevenson, a promonent physician in Trenton, who had paracticed earlier in Frankford, after he too, graduated from the University of Toronto.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of correspondence, financial, legal and miscellaneous records, photographs, and printed material relating to the activities of the Rev. John Brooks Crowe, an early settler in the Trenton, Ont. area, and his descendants; correspondence and genealogical files relating to the Birch, Crowe, Garnt, Hagerman, Mills, Philps, and Stevenson families; diplomas and certificates relating to Margrethe (Crowe) Birch's time as a registered nurse. The bulk of the fonds contains material relating to the public and personal lives of the families of Dr. Walter Brooks Crowe and Dr. John Alexander Stevenson, and documents, in a fairly rich fashion, the social, economic, and medical history of the Trenton, Frankford, and Peterborough, Ontario areas, from the mid 19th to the mid 20th centuries.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated by Mrs. Margrethe J. Birch.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

2357
2357.1
2358.6
F3 C3.9 022 101-103
F3 B3.6 011 I32

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Open.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Copyright provisions may apply. Please consult with an archivist.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres

Location

  • Shelf: 2357
  • Shelf: 2357.1
  • Shelf: 2358.6
  • Shelf: F3 C3.9 022 101-103
  • Shelf: F3 B3.6 011 I32