Title and statement of responsibility area
The Frontenac Club fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA ON00239 F02274
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- The Frontenac Club
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Frontenac Club was founded in 1907 and located at the corner of William and King Streets. Originally constructed in 1845 for the Bank of Montreal, the building was sold to the Frontenac Club in 1907. Established by leading Kingstonians, garrison officers, faculty of Queen's University and the Royal Military College, and members of the 14th Batallion (Princess of Wales' Own Rifles) Officer's Club, the club occupied all three floors of the building. There were meeting rooms on the main floor, billiard and card rooms on the second floor, and a third floor containing overnight accomodations for guests.
The Chairman of the Club was chosen by committee members and members of the club were classed as Ordinary members, Special members (membership given primarily to military men) or Non-Resident members. There was a Board of Directors though the Consitution and By-laws for the club seem to have been lost. What is known, is that the ramifications for non-payment of dues ($15.00 annually) was a public posting of the infraction resulting in loss of privileges and membership within 30 days.
The Club closed its doors early in 1931. According to an article in the Whig-Standard of December 27, 1930 - ".. the club's fine premises at the corner of King and William street are offered for sale and the organization is going out of business as its membership has declined and it cannot carry on any longer."
These items came into the possession of Mr. George Vosper, who owned the building for a certain period of time, and remained within his custody for a number of years. A large quantity of Vosper's personal effects were sold at auction, including a Register of The Frontenac Club, which was purchased by Queen's University Archives. The three visitors books were also donated by Vosper at an earlier date.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of three visitor's books and a membership register. The visitor's books reveal such guests as Alexander Graham Bell, William Lyon Mackenzie King, Carl Sandburg, George Alexander Drew, Sir Adam Beck, Sir Sandford Fleming, Sir Hughe Montgomery Knatchbull-Hugessen; Vincent Massey, General Henry Duncan Graham Crerar, Sir Montague Allan, James T. Sutherland, Major-General H. F. H. Hertzberg and Sir William Arthur Currie.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Further accruals are expected