Item 76 - General Views

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

General Views

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Item

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1949 (Creation)
    Creator
    Kingston Whig-Standard

Physical description area

Physical description

1 photomechanical reproduction : b&w ; 30.7 x 45.7 cm..

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1926-)

Administrative history

During the early 1830's Dr. Edward John Barker, a graduate of the London College of Medicine arrived with his family in Kingston. In his spare time he wrote for relaxation and Noble Palmer, publisher of the Spectator, a weekly with liberal leanings, persuaded Barker to edit his paper. Barker accepted and enjoyed the work so much he decided to establish his own paper. In 1833 he announced that a new publication, to be called The British Whig, would be published and on New Year's day, 1834, the first issue was produced. Originally a weekly, the paper soon changed to semi-weekly publication and eventually became a daily. Edward John Barker Pense, grandson of the founder, took over the paper in 1872, modernizing the printing equipment and erecting a new building to house the publication. In 1925, Senator William Rupert Davies purchased The British Whig and amalgamated it in 1926 with the Kingston Daily Standard, to become the Kingston Whig-Standard. Today the Kingston Whig-Standard remains the oldest continuously published newspaper in Canada.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Special publication of the Kingston Whig Standard titled "One Hundred Years of Daily Newspaper Publication, 1849-1949". Includes photos of Whig Standard operations; Chown Ltd.; British American Hotel; Smith Bros. Jewellers, 102 Princess St.; Livingstons, 77 Brock Street; Bank of Montreal; City Park; Kingston Penitentiary; Martello Tower at Fort Frederick; lift bridge at Lasalle Causeway; Court House; various aerial views; Market Square; Oper House interior in 1895; Aluminum Company; Canadian Industries Nylon Works; Canadian Locomotive Company; Cataraqui Golf & Country Club; Kingston Tennis Club; Richardson Stadium; Winston Churchill Public School; old toll bridge over Cataraqui River; et. al, as well as many residences on King, Union, University, Barrie, Earl and College streets et. al.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

J.W. (Bill) Fitsell, 10 July 2014.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Open

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Oversize

General note

see also Gen-13

Conservation

Conservation code: 3.5

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Description created 21/04/2016.

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres

Location

  • Box: V23 Gen-76