- CA ON00239 F01094
The fonds consists of bargain and sale indentures, deeds, grants, leases, and proclamations re. seizure of property of deserters after War of 1812. Includes correspondence regarding Belleville, 1816, and several items relating to land matters in the Ottawa area. In 1763, the British Crown began to issue grants of land in Ontario, largely to attract British settlers to Canada. These grants were made by way of location tickets or occupation permits. Land certificates were made to veterans and United Empire Loyalists. Grants of land ranged from 200-5000 acres, depending on the rank of the soldier.