The records start with the proceedings of the first town council in 1838 and are continually being acquired. Many of the early minute books are indexed. In addition there are separate volumes for committee reports between 1842 and 1898, and for bylaws between 1838 and 1907. The minute books and correspondence of the Finance and Accounts Committee are of interest. The story of the Fire Department between 1888 and 1936 is to be found in the records of the Committee on Fire and Light. There are scattered records for the Parks and Property Committees, fairly detailed records for the Board of Works between 1891 and 1936 and for the Board of Health around the same time. The correspondence of the City Clerk is complete from 1898 to 1938 and there are letter books from 1952 on as well as scattered letter books from 1852 to 1896. The records of the City Treasurer comprise an extensive collection of account books as do the records of the City Engineer.
The fonds consists of official plan amendments #2-101 (1953-1979), and new series #1-18 (1979-1982), as well as photographs taken by City of Kingston Planning Department staff in the course of their work.
The records consist of the minutes of the Kingston Public Utilities Commission from 1941 to 1972, and from 1994 to 1997. The minutes of the Kingston Transit Commission are included for 1962, the year it was taken over by the P. U. C. There are account books from 1904 on (the year the Light, Heat and Power Company was taken over by the city), financial statements for the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s, and some warrants and vouchers for scattered years in the early part of the century.
The fonds also contains gas and electric registers for 1911 and 1915, gas and electric daily report books for a number of years, records of sewer,water and gas services, and order book for the years 1948 to 1952, a record of the monthly output of gas and electricity for the years 1926 to 1939 and other miscellaneous items.
The fonds consists of correspondence, assessment rolls, minutes and resolutions of council, school board records, financial and legal records, petitions, contracts and miscellaneous items relating to the village of Portsmouth from its incorporation as a village to 1951 shortly before its annexation to the city of Kingston in 1952
This fonds consists of correspondence, minutes, financial records, photos and newspaper clippings relating to the Chown Hardware Firm. There is only one folder from the 1864-1870 period. The majority of this collection deals with the business in the 1950s, and 60s. This record reflects the growth and operation of a local Kingston business.
The fonds consists of the immediate and related business and legal venture of the Scovil family in the regards to their general store business. The bulk of the fonds consists of ledgers, daybooks and record books of the Scovil General Store through three successive owners. The related legal documents pertain to wills and testaments, mortgages, quit claims, indentures and land transfers. Of particular interest is volume 41 which includes eight pages of medicinal recipes.
Daybook lists many local United Empire Loyalist names such as John Canniff, Major Van Alsie, Peter Young, Sills, Trumpour and Roblin. Includes a record of sales to Reuben Bedell of Adolphustown, in November 1797, who appeared to be a travelling salesman.
Scrapbook contains original poems and drawings related to Kingston about 1840-1846. There is a coloured lithograph of St. George's Cathedral after its renovations in 1846, drawings and watercolours of other Kingston scenes.