Fonds F01934 - Inglis and Downey Architects fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Inglis and Downey Architects fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00239 F01934

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1980-1996 (Creation)
    Creator
    Inglis and Downey Architects

Physical description area

Physical description

12.4 m of textual records, 14 278 architectural drawings

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(n.d.)

Administrative history

Inglis and Downey was founded in 1984 by uniting the separate Kingston architectural practices of Lily Inglis and R. Bruce Downey. The firm was incorporated as Inglis and Downey Architects Inc. in 1986.

The senior partner, Lily Inglis, was born in Milan, Italy in 1926. She received a Diploma in Architecture from the School of Architecture, Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1952 and became an Associate Royal Institute of British Architects that same year. In 1957 she received a Certificate in Landscape Design, University College, London University, England. Between 1962 and 1963 she did a practical training period with Kingston architect, Wilfred Sorensen before being admitted as a member of the Ontario Association of Architects in 1963.She had her own practice in Kingston between 1963 and 1965 and had an interior architectural practice in Philadelphia, P.A., U.S.A. from 1965 to 1968. Between 1968 and 1983 she was the sole principal of Lily Inglis Architect working mainly in Downtown Kingston with heritage buildings.

R. Bruce Downey, partner, was born in Kingston in 1952. He received a B.Arch. from Carlton University in 1976 and became a member of the Ontario Association of Architects in 1981. Between 1976 and 1978, Mr, Downey was employed by Wilfred Sorensen, Architect, Kingston. He was employed by Lily Inglis from 1979 to 1981 when he established the firm of R. Bruce Downey Architect. In 1983 he rejoined Mrs. Inglis to establish the firm of Inglis and Downey Architects.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of client files, architectural drawings, and presentation material relating to the business of Inglis and Downey Architects. The records relate to projects predominantly in the Kingston area

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated by Inglis and Downey Architects - 1998.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

R302

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Open

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Copyright provisions may apply, please consult archivist

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres

Location

  • Shelf: R302