Archival Holdings at Queen's University Archives

collection F001 - International Hockey Hall of Fame Picture collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

International Hockey Hall of Fame Picture collection

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

collection

Reference code

CA ON-IHHF F001

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1886-2003 (Creation)
    Creator
    International Hockey Hall of Fame

Physical description area

Physical description

2458 photographs and other material.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

International Hockey Hall of Fame (10 September 1943-)

Administrative history

Founded by the National Hockey League and the Canadian Amateur Hockey Association on September 10, 1943, Kingston's International Hockey Hall of Fame and Museum is the original hockey hall of fame and the oldest sports hall of fame in Canada. Captain James T. Sutherland of Kingston spearheaded the bid to bring the Hockey Hall of Fame to Kingston and was inducted into the hall in 1947 - one of the first forty-two members inducted into the hall during the Kingston-era.

Capt. Sutherland died in 1955 and never realized his dream of seeing the hall of fame built in Kingston. Fifteen-years after initially awarding the Hall of Fame to Kingston, N.H.L. President Clarence Campbell withdrew support in 1958 and Toronto was awarded the hall of fame. Despite a major setback, the Kingston organizing committee moved forward and the International Hockey Hall of Fame finally opened in 1965 in a brand new building on the Kingston Memorial Centre grounds at the corner of York and Alfred Streets.

In 1992, an agreement was reached with the International Ice Hockey Federation to have the Kingston shrine become the International Ice Hockey Federation Museum. That partnership was abandoned in 1997 and since that time, the Kingston hall had been known as the International Hockey Hall of Fame and Museum. On January 1, 2003, the operating name was changed back to International Hockey Hall of Fame, in part to help celebrate 60th anniversary celebrations.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The collection consists of photographs, clippings and posters of individual hockey players, teams and hockey games, as well as promotional material for tournaments and teams.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

V026

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Open

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Copyright restrictions may apply.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres

Location

  • Shelf: V026