Title and statement of responsibility area
Kingston Whig-Standard fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Kingston Whig-Standard
Physical description area
ca. 600,000 photographs, 4 m of textual records, 1 audiocassette (60 min.)
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
During the early 1830's Dr. Edward John Barker, a graduate of the London College of Medicine arrived with his family in Kingston. In his spare time he wrote for relaxation and Noble Palmer, publisher of the Spectator, a weekly with liberal leanings, persuaded Barker to edit his paper. Barker accepted and enjoyed the work so much he decided to establish his own paper. In 1833 he announced that a new publication, to be called The British Whig, would be published and on New Year's day, 1834, the first issue was produced. Originally a weekly, the paper soon changed to semi-weekly publication and eventually became a daily. Edward John Barker Pense, grandson of the founder, took over the paper in 1872, modernizing the printing equipment and erecting a new building to house the publication. In 1925, Senator William Rupert Davies purchased The British Whig and amalgamated it in 1926 with the Kingston Daily Standard, to become the Kingston Whig-Standard. Today the Kingston Whig-Standard remains the oldest continuously published newspaper in Canada.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of photographs by staff and freelance photographers, correspondence, employee paybooks (1926-1933), news clippings and subject files (ca. 1955-1975) and an interview, conducted by staff reporter Murray Hogben, with James Alexander Corry, former Principal of Queen's University at Kingston (1980). Also includes souvenir edition of the Whig in honour of Queen's University's second century (October 16, 1964).
A section of the negatives suffered from a water leak in the original storage space. As a result, a number of the negatives in 1980 were damaged or destroyed.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated by James Sutcliffe, 1981, Murray Hogben, 1992, and the Kingston Whig-Standard, 2007.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
F3 A3.3 005 I1
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright resides with individual photographers.
See also the Davies family fonds (5118), Jack Chiang and Cathy Lincoln-Chiang fonds (V110 and V035), George Lilley fonds. Negatives missing from the Whig-Standard fonds after 1980 may be located in the Jack Chiang and Cathy Lincoln-Chiang fonds.
Further accruals are expected
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Description created on 1999/08/27. Last updated 28/06/2016.
Archivist(s): Pamela Thayer, Paul Banfield, Ken Willmott, Jeremy Heil
Language of description