Title and statement of responsibility area
Kiwanis Club of Kingston fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Kiwanis Club of Kingston
Physical description area
2.55 m of textual records, ca. 500 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Meetings were held to organize the Kiwanis Club in Kingston in December, 1920. The service club was chartered 22 January, 1921 as the eighth Kiwanis Club in Canada. The objectives of Kiwanis Clubs are: to give primacy to the human and spiritual, rather than to the material values of life; to encourage the daily living of the Golden Rule in all human relationships; to promote the adoption and the application of higher social, business, and professional standards; to develop, by precept and example, a more intelligent, aggressive, and serviceable citizenship; to provide, through Kiwanis clubs, a practical means to form enduring friendships, to render altruistic service, and to build better communities; and to cooperate in creating and maintaining that sound public opinion and high idealism which make possible the increase of righteousness, justice, patriotism, and good will.
Since its founding, the Kiwanis Club of Kingston has undertaken many projects for the community, including the creation of the RKY Camp in partnership with the Kingston Rotary Club and YMCA in 1924, door-to-door mobile X-ray screening for tuberculosis in 1946, the reconstruction of Lake Ontario Park in 1947, and funding for rehabilitation equipment for Kingston General Hospital and Providence Continuing Care. The Club also re-established the Kiwanis Music Festival in 1973, and has held local Sports Awards Banquets to honour young amateur athletes.
Some records have been held by individual Kiwanians, mainly past-presidents, although the most recent accrual was stored in the central office.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of correspondence; administrative records, including minutes, agendas and reports; event and project files; photographs; and various publications. Also includes bound scrapbooks, containing announcements of regular meetings, newspaper clippings and event advertisements. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Correspondence (1952-2003), Administrative (1920-2011), Bulletins (1966-2006), Events and Projects (1947-2011), Publicity (1929-2005), Photographs (-2000), and Scrapbooks (1925-1968).
Evidence of mouse nesting was visible in one box of artifacts. This material has been segregated for later processing.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated by Mr. A. Deslauriers (1975), E. H. Hare (1985) and Roland Tinline (2012).
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
No further accruals are expected