Sous-fonds SF27 - Macnee estate sous-fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Macnee estate sous-fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1901-1926 (Creation)
    Macnee (family)

Physical description area

Physical description

0.45 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Biographical history

The probate of the last Will and Testament of James Macnee was on September 3, 1881 and the Executors were Sarah Elizabeth Macnee, James Richmond and Robert Vashon Rogers. James Richmond died April 24, 1894 and Sarah E. Macnee died June 17, 1891. On February 16, 1894 Walter H. Macnee was appointed a trustee of the Macnee Estate. In 1900 the Estate appears to have been settled and in April of 1901, the Macnee Trust began formal operation. On March 2, 1903 the shares of the Macnee Trust were as follows: Walter Hill Macnee, one seventh; Mary E. Cappon, one seventh; Francis Hill Macnee, one seventh; Ethel W. Macnee, two sevenths; Arthur F. Macnee, one seventh; Alice L. Macnee, one seventh.

The Trust owned a building occupied by Starr and Sutcliffe (later Steacy and Steacy), the Macnee Warehouse Building (136-140 Princess Street), and properties in Gananoque (Ferguson block and 1029 Pine Street).

Custodial history

This sous-fonds forms part of the Kirkpatrick-Nickle legal collection. The documents came from the law firm of Nickle and Nickle, which was founded by Thomas Kirkpatrick in 1828, and which continued under various names (Kirkpatrick Nickle) and with various partners until 1968. The Mcnee estate papers were deposited, along with the papers of other clients of the firm, in Queen's University Archives during the 1960's.

Scope and content

The sous-fonds is comprised of records pertaining to both the estate of James Macnee and Sarah Elizabeth Macnee and includes correspondence, financial records and legal documents. Also included are papers created and received by the Macnee Trust in the management of various properties and includes documents pertaining to the businesses that rented these properties, including Rigney and Hickey, grocery and liquor stores; Mendels Ladies Wear; Laura Secord confectionary; Crumley Brothers, dry goods; Ben Lee, grocer; Metropolitan Stores; and Steacy and Steacy.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals


Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access


Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Public domain

Associated materials

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres

Location (use this to request the file)

  • Shelf: 2269.12