Title and statement of responsibility area
Ontario Federation of Agriculture fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Ontario Federation of Agriculture
- Canadian Chamber of Agriculture. Ontario branch
Physical description area
47 m of textual records, ca. 200 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Ontario Federation of Agriculture was renamed from the Canadian Chamber of Agriculture (Ontario branch) in 1940. The OFA is a producer-led organization based in Guelph, Ontario that works to represent and champion the diverse interests of Ontario’s agri-food sector and rural communities. Their work includes government relations, farm policy development, research, lobby efforts, community representation, media relations and more.
In 1949, the Federation started Co-operators Insurance Association of Guelph (CIAG) as a service to farmers. It started as a wholly-owned subsidiary of OFA. The development of Co-operators was due in large part to OFA’s reaction to growing member concerns regarding a need for insurance protection for farmers. OFA identified (through member concerns) a significant need to establish an insurance company that could meet the unique insurance needs of farmers, starting with automobile coverage.
In 1968, OFA reorganized its structure to allow for individual farmers to become members of OFA. The OFA board of directors was comprised of individual service members (ISM), annually elected from their region and member organizations (county federations). Member organizations were county federations, commodity boards, provincial co-operatives and provincial educational groups. The Ontario Farm Machinery Agency was established as a subsidiary of OFA in 1970 to provide a wide variety of farm implements and parts at a substantial discount for OFA members.
Name of creator
A meeting of representatives of farm organizations in the Province of Ontario was held in Toronto on January 27, 1936, for the purpose of forming a branch of the Canadian Chamber of Agriculture. A committee was appointed and recommended a very simple form of organization. The name was to be the Ontario Agricultural Conference and its purpose was to coordinate the activities of the Ontario agricultural organizations in matters of common interest within the Canadian Chamber of Agriculture. The membership was to consist of provincial organizations composed of producers of agricultural products. In 1940 the name of the organization was officially changed to the Ontario Federation of Agriculture.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of minutes, financial records, membership lists, press releases, and photographs relating to the operation and functions of the Federation. There is a separate series of the workings of the Ontario Farm Machinery Agency and well as for the Leeds County chapter (Locator #5060, SR1135-SR1135.5).
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated by Ontario Federation of Agriculture
5071.1 was originally unprocessed material from boxes 12-14 of 5071.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
F3 A4.2. 010
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright restrictions may apply.
Further accruals are expected
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Description created on 1999/08/27. Last updated 14/07/2015.
Archivist(s): Rose Mary Gibson, Anne MacDermaid, George Henderson, Mark Broeders, Ken Willmott
Language of description