File f10 - Photocopies of "Spring Walks"

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Photocopies of "Spring Walks"

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1863-1864 (Creation)
    Barker, Edward John

Physical description area

Physical description

1 folder of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Biographical history

BARKER, EDWARD JOHN, doctor, publisher, and editor; b. 31 Dec. 1799 at Islington (now part of London), England, son of William Barker and Margaret Greenwood; m. first in 1821 Elizabeth Phillips (d. 1859), and they had 13 children; m. secondly 8 May 1868 Ellen Griffiths; d. 27 April 1884 at Barriefield, near Kingston, Ont.

Custodial history

Scope and content

This file consists of typescripts and copies of the following walks: 27 March 1863-Introduction (whimsical); Jenkins’ Ship Yard; steamers; Holcomb & Cowan’s Wharf, approximately 1000 words; 28 March 1863-Garden Island, approximately 700 words; 11 April 1863-Portsmouth: ship and boat building, approximately 820 words; 14 April-Waterfront: the wharves, approximately 760 words; 18 April 1863-New retail establishments, approximately 900 words; 24 April 1863-Other retail establishments; Frontenac House, approximately 600 words; 27 April 1863-Steamer “Banshee”; City Hotel; D. McKay’s Tailoring Establishment, approximately 540 words; 4 May 1863-Cameron’s City Brewery N.B. The remaining Walks were written by “The Old Hand”, approximately 250 words; 7 March 1864-Commentary on the “Spring Walks”; buildings contemplated for 1864, approximately 930 words; 14 March 1864-Waterfront: the wharves, approximately1270 words; 21 March 1864-The shipping interest of Kingston (includes Garden Island), approximately 1250 words; 28 March 1864-Kingston’s manufactories, approximately 1550 words.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres

Location (use this to request the file)

  • Folder: 2158, Box 1, File 10