Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Queen's University. Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Queen's University Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology traces its history to the founding of the Faculty of Medicine in 1855, when J.P. Litchfield was appointed Professor of Midwifery and Forensic and State Medicine. When Queen's officials discovered to their shock that Litchfield was not qualified to teach midwifery - indeed, he had never even attended a birth - they removed him from his post.
He was replaced in 1861 by Michael Lavell, who held the post of Professor of Obstetrics and Diseases of Women and Children. Obstetrics and Gynaecology were taught in conjunction with Children's Medicine until well into this century. The Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology was established as a separate unit in 1928.
Today, the department is centred in Kingston General Hospital, where practising faculty provide care for patients, conduct research, and teach. Major changes over the years include the expansion of pre-natal care and the development of a birthing centre in the hospital.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Administrative history based on the entry in the Queen's Encyclopedia "Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Department of" at http://www.queensu.ca/encyclopedia/o/obstetrics-and-gynaecology-department (Accessed 18 Aug. 2016).