Item 9 - Saint George's Cathedral, Anglican (1862- )

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Saint George's Cathedral, Anglican (1862- )

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Item

Reference code

CA ON00239 F01411-S37-f25-9

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • [ca. 1908] (Creation)
    Creator
    Valentine & Sons Publishing Co. Ltd.

Physical description area

Physical description

  • 1 postcard : b&w ; 13.8 x 8.8 cm
  • 1 photograph : b&w negative ; 7.9 x 6.1 cm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1907-1923)

Administrative history

Postcard publishing company based Dundee, Scotland with subsidiary branches in Montreal and Toronto.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Postcard inscribed "St. George's Cathedral, Kingston, Ont."and postmarked 15 September 1908.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Open

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Saint George's Church was started in 1825 to replace a smaller one of the same name. It was a rectangular building of stone designed by Thomas Rogers. It was enlarged and the front wall was rebuilt in 1846 when the portico and clock tower were added. In 1891, it was again greatly enlarged and a dome similar to St. Paul's in London was added. After the fire of 1 January 1899, architect Joseph Power added the Johnson Street portico and covered the roof and the dome in copper. In March 1862, Saint George's became a Cathedral.

Conservation

Conservation code: 2

Physical description

A copy negative of this image is available.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Description created 22/03/2000. Last updated 23/04/2013. Archivist: Stewart Renfrew.

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres

Location

  • Folder: V23 RelB-St. George's Cathedral-9