Item 1 - Saint George's Church, Anglican (1792-1825)

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Saint George's Church, Anglican (1792-1825)

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • [Copied ca. 1990] (originally created [179-]) (Creation)
    Anglican Diocese of Ontario

Physical description area

Physical description

  • 1 photograph : b&w ; 25.6 x 20 cm
  • 1 photograph : b&w negative ; 7.9 x 6.1 cm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(fl. 1790s)

Administrative history

No information is available about this creator.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Watercolour of the first Saint George's Church by an unknown artist.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Saint George's Cathedral


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access


Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials


General note

Copy published in 'Heritage Kingston', page 46, no.38

General note

Mr. Archibald Thomson was the carpenter employed to build the church standing across King Street from the Market, near the Whig Standard building. In July 1792 the Lt. Governor Simcoe took his oaths of office there. Before the end of the 1790's the church was inadequate for the growing congregation and so first a gallery and then an addition were added.


Conservation code: 2

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions



Level of detail


Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Description created 22/03/2000. Last updated 12/11/2015. Archivist: Stewart Renfrew.

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres


  • Folder: V23 RelB-St. George's I-1