Title and statement of responsibility area
Saint Mary's Cathedral, Roman Catholic
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
[Copied ca. 1990] (originally created after 1889) (Creation)
- Powell, James William
Physical description area
- 1 photograph : b&w ; 20.3 x 25.4 cm
- 2 photographs : b&w negatives ; 35 mm
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
James William Powell became an apprentice photographer with Sheldon & Davis in 1867. He opened his first business in 1868 as Powell & Tobey in Napanee, Ontario. By 1873, he had opened his own studio in Kingston, Ontario. His studios were located at 135 Wellington Street over King's Drug Store from 1875 to the early 1880's, at 43 Brock Street (part of the Anchor Block), then finally at 165 Princess Street in 1883.
In 1894, James Powell became blind after suffering from a stroke. His wife, Jane, and son, Haffell, continued the business from this point until 1906.
Scope and content
Side view of the front towers of the Cathedral looking up Johnson Street.
Immediate source of acquisition
Copied from glass plate negative 3760-A n.n.GDP in the Powell Collection.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Original glass plate negative is part of the Powell Fonds.
Also have contact prints in Duplicate File.
The building of Saint Mary's Cathedral, located on the corner of Johnson and Clergy Streets, was begun in 1842. The cornerstone was laid on 8 September 1843 by Bishop Phelan and it was opened for use in 1846. The church was consecrated on 4 October 1848. In 1885 the plain glass windows were replaced by stain glass - each window portraying a story from the Creation of Adam to the martyrdom of Saints Peter and Paul. In 1889, the belfry at the front was torn down and the present three towers were added. Saint James' Chapel was added in 1890. The seating capacity for the Cathedral is 1500. The pipe organ was installed in 1905 and a marble main Altar installed in 1910. A new bell was installed in 1949 and a Baptistry installed in 1964.
Conservation code: 1
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Description created 18/04/2000. Last updated 12/11/2015. Archivist: Stewart Renfrew.