Title and statement of responsibility area
W.H. Rankin family fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Rankin, William Henry
Physical description area
0.5 m of textual records and other material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Rankin family traces its ancestry in the Kingston district to one Captain Daniel McGuin, U.E.L. He was one of the leaders of the Associated Loyalists who settled Kingston Township in 1784. McGuin's son, Anthony, established the family at Collins Bay in 1806 when he bought land out of the "Mile Square" from the Reverend John Stuart. Anthony McGuin and his son, also named Anthony, established a prosperous milling business on Collins Creek and over the years built three fine stone houses along the "Bath Road" near the mills. Anthony Jr. never married and passed on his estate, two of the stone houses and the mills, to his nephew David Rankin. Dr. William Henry Rankin was a grandson of David Rankin. After graduating from Queen's University, M.D. 1889, and studies in Scotland, Dr. Rankin established a successful medical practice near New York City. His wife the former Jennie Reid, purchased the western most of the three Rankin houses in Collins Bay, now 4111 Bath Road, for use by their family. The house was extensively renovated to become a rich man's summer home and the family spent most of their summers there from that time on. The house and these Fonds passed through inheritance to Dr. Rankin's son Reid and from him to the Diane Kennedy the former wife of Mr. Robert Kennedy a grandnephew of Dr. Rankin.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of correspondence, written histories, a diary and personal papers. There are also a large number of photographs and two films. This material provides a documentary and pictorial record of the family of Dr. William Henry Rankin and the area around his summer home at Collins Bay. The textual material consists of letters, written histories of Collins Bay, a family tree for the Rankin family, a diary kept by Mr. Harold Clark while he was at Guelph Agricultural College and a few other miscellaneous items. The photographs consist primarily of scenic views and individuals photographed near the Rankin house in Collins Bay from the early part of the century until just after WWII. The moving image material documents Kingston area including the Thousand Islands, the building of the grain elevator near Kingston and some interesting shots of the Rideau Canal. There is also one medical film, likely made at the request of Dr. Rankin.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated by Diane Kennedy - 1993
File titles are taken from the contents of the folders.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
The film has been transfered to videotape for easier viewing by users.
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright provisions may apply, please consult archivist.
See McGuin 2999, QUA.
No further accruals are expected