Agnes Etherington Art Centre

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Agnes Etherington Art Centre

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1957-

History

The seeds of the present Art Centre were sown in 1926, with the formation of the Kingston Art and Music Club, of which Agnes Etherington (1880-1954) was a driving force. She continued to work for the arts in Kingston throughout her life and in her final years, drew up plans to bequeath her house, an elegant Neo-Georgian mansion, to Queen's University for use as a university and community art gallery. The Agnes Etherington Art Centre opened to the public in 1957, with respected artist André Biéler as founding director.

To meet the needs of the gallery's expanding functions, extensions to the building were added in 1962, 1975 and 1978. Most recently, in 2000, an $8M capital campaign project created eight new exhibition spaces totalling 725m2, generous vault storage, a public programs studio, a multi-purpose Atrium, Shop and Art Rental & Sales spaces, and the restored Etherington House, for a total of 1720m2. This first-rate infrastructure supports a program of some 15 exhibitions annually, and a spectrum of artists' talks and performances, public lectures, symposia, workshops, and school and family programs.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

CA QUA01506

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places