Title and statement of responsibility area
Queen's University. Agnes Etherington Art Centre fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Agnes Etherington Art Centre
Physical description area
18.8 m of textual records, ca. 1,500 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The seeds of the present Art Centre were sown in 1926, with the formation of the Kingston Art and Music Club, of which Agnes Etherington (1880-1954) was a driving force. She continued to work for the arts in Kingston throughout her life and in her final years, drew up plans to bequeath her house, an elegant Neo-Georgian mansion, to Queen's University for use as a university and community art gallery. The Agnes Etherington Art Centre opened to the public in 1957, with respected artist André Biéler as founding director.
To meet the needs of the gallery's expanding functions, extensions to the building were added in 1962, 1975 and 1978. Most recently, in 2000, an $8M capital campaign project created eight new exhibition spaces totalling 725m2, generous vault storage, a public programs studio, a multi-purpose Atrium, Shop and Art Rental & Sales spaces, and the restored Etherington House, for a total of 1720m2. This first-rate infrastructure supports a program of some 15 exhibitions annually, and a spectrum of artists' talks and performances, public lectures, symposia, workshops, and school and family programs.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of administrative records (1957-1983); Art Circuit files (1957-1963); Gallery Association files (1967-1972); exhibition files (1957-2004); slides of installations (1971-1991); exhibition photographs (1986-1990); photographs of various events held at the AEAC; photographs of the major renovation and extention of the Art Centre (1998-1999); exhibition catalogues (1970-2007).
Immediate source of acquisition
Agnes Etherington Art Centre, Kingston Historical Society, and Mrs. H. Scott.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Queen's Printed Collection
F3 C3.8 018
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Open; though PLEASE NOTE: the exhibition file series is subject to sections of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA).
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright provisions may apply. Please consult with an archivist.
Further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Description created on 1999/08/27. Last updated 30/11/2016.
Archivist(s): Paul Banfield, Gillian Barlow
Language of description