Title and statement of responsibility area
Charles H. Boyes fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
[ca. 1895]-1920 (Creation)
- Boyes, Charles H.
Physical description area
- 929 photographs ; b&w negatives (dry gelatin plate) : 16.5 x 12 cm, 18 x 12.5 cm, 13 x 10 cm and 20.4 x 25.5 cm
- 27 photographs ; b&w negatives (nitrate) ; 16.5 x 12 cm
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Charles H. Boyes was a photographer in Kingston, Ontario, active from 1901 to 1941. Born in Napanee, Ontario in 1871, he established his first studio there, located opposite the Campbell House. In 1901, he moved his business to 224 Princess Street in Kingston, a space that had previously been occupied by the photography studios of William Bell, K.W. Snider and A.E. Ford. While in Kingston, he was a member of the Oddfellows.
This material was purchased at a garage sale in Kingston by Stanley Kosior around 1969. The creator is not identified on any of the plates, although a handful of envelopes are labelled "Boyes".
Scope and content
Fonds consists of glass plate negatives from the Charles H. Boyes Studio in Kingston, containing portraits of families and individuals, including portraits of graduates from Royal Military College and Queen's University.
Most plates are in good condition, although the emulsion on a select number of plates is lifting from the support and flaking. Some photographs also have crystals that have formed between the emulsion and plate.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated by Mr. Stanley Kosior, 2007, 2013. Second accession donated by Mr. Doug Tocher, 1992.
Material is arranged by ID number.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
See also earlier years of the Tricolour, which contain the prints of selected individuals.
No further accruals are expected