Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
2 Aug. 1959 (Creation)
- Lilley, George E.O.
Physical description area
1 photograph : b&w ; 25.3 x 20.6 cm.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
George Edwin Osborne Lilley was a photographer born in Kingston in 1918. George served with the Royal Canadian Air Force during World War II. Just prior to the end of the war and after the war, he was employed at the National Film Board of Canada where he produced films for foreign distribution, working under John Grierson.
After joining the militia he was, at the same time, actively involved in the public relations role of the Canadian Armed Forces. He served as Public Information Officer from 1955-1974. He retired from the Armed Forces in 1974. Mr. Lilley joined Transport Canada as Public Affairs Officer. He was stationed with the Canadian Coast Guard in Toronto.
Mr. Lilley had been interested in photography from an early age. For many years he was a freelance photographer in Kingston. His photographic work involved news photography, documentaries, advertising and promotional work. As far as the news side of photographic gathering is concerned, Mr. Lilley was under contract to provide news photographs for the Kingston Whig-Standard, the Toronto Telegram, the Globe and Mail, the Ottawa Journal, the Montreal Star, Montreal Gazette, the Associated Press, the United Press, Time-Life Fortune, and some European newspapers. He passed away on 22 November 2003.
Scope and content
Empire Life Building at 243 King St. East (corner of King and William Streets).
Immediate source of acquisition
Copied from George Lilley negative #HC-59017
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Located at 243 King Street East this building was built in 1853-1854 for the Commercial Bank of the Midland District. In 1867 it was sold to the Merchants Bank of Canada, and in 1899 Regiopolis College converted the building into a High School for boys. James Richardson and Sons, prominent grain merchants of Kingston, occupied the premises between 1914 and 1925. The next owner was the Oddfellow's Relief Association who, in 1929, sold the building to the Mutual Relief Life Insurance Company. In 1936 the Empire Life Insurance Company purchased the place for their head office. (Information was taken from page 70 of 'Kingston Spledid Heritage).
Conservation code: 1
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Description created 8/29/2002.
Language of description
Script of description
Digital object metadata