Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Kingston Yacht Club
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Kingston Ice Yacht Club was established in November 1895 and located at the foot of Simcoe Street, where space was rented from a local boat builder for anchorage and a clubhouse. The club started with thirty members and a fleet of twenty-three sloops and lateens. A series of club regattas were held during the first season, and in March an international ice regatta. By the end of the first season, the club had over one hundred members.
Many of the ice yachtsmen also participated in summer yachting. In April 1896, sixty-one of the one hundred and eight men met at the Hotel Frontenac to organize a club devoted to the encouragement of aquatic sports. James Wilson was Chair and Frank Strange was elected Commodore of the new Kingston Yacht Club. The Club Executive leased part of Anne Camerons property, at the foot of Maitland Street. Ann Cameron was the widow of Angus Cameron, who had been actively associated with yachting in Kingston since the 1840s. Joseph Power submitted plans for the clubhouse.
When the club was established, the Kingston Yacht Club Association was also formed. The Yacht Club met in its new clubhouse for the first time in August 1896. The clubhouse was remodelled in 1906 by H.P. Smith, and new club house was completed in 1936 by Colin Drever of Power Son & Drever.
Many social and recreational events have been hosted by the Kingston Yacht Club, including dances, picnics and local, national and international regattas.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion