Title and statement of responsibility area
Kingston Yacht Club fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Kingston Yacht Club
Physical description area
1.5 m of textual records, ca. 500 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Kingston Ice Yacht Club was established in November 1895 and located at the foot of Simcoe Street, where space was rented from a local boat builder for anchorage and a clubhouse. The club started with thirty members and a fleet of twenty-three sloops and lateens. A series of club regattas were held during the first season, and in March an international ice regatta. By the end of the first season, the club had over one hundred members.
Many of the ice yachtsmen also participated in summer yachting. In April 1896, sixty-one of the one hundred and eight men met at the Hotel Frontenac to organize a club devoted to the encouragement of aquatic sports. James Wilson was Chair and Frank Strange was elected Commodore of the new Kingston Yacht Club. The Club Executive leased part of Anne Camerons property, at the foot of Maitland Street. Ann Cameron was the widow of Angus Cameron, who had been actively associated with yachting in Kingston since the 1840s. Joseph Power submitted plans for the clubhouse.
When the club was established, the Kingston Yacht Club Association was also formed. The Yacht Club met in its new clubhouse for the first time in August 1896. The clubhouse was remodelled in 1906 by H.P. Smith, and new club house was completed in 1936 by Colin Drever of Power Son & Drever.
Many social and recreational events have been hosted by the Kingston Yacht Club, including dances, picnics and local, national and international regattas.
Scope and content
The fonds reflects the administrative, fundraising, recreational, and social activities of the club. The fonds consists of Annual Meeting Minutes, Director's Meeting Minutes, Executive Meeting Minutes, newspaper clippings and transcripts, a cash book, financial statements, audit reports, regatta committee correspondence, regatta brochures, constitutions, shares, letters patent, contracts, correspondence, applications for boat houses, visitors books and a small amount of architectural material relating to the "New Building" constructed between 1934-1936. The fonds also includes photographs mostly relating to events held at the Club.
Immediate source of acquisition
Transfer by Ms. Liz Lazier, Manager, Kingston Yacht Club.
Material was in no discernable order upon arrival to the archives. The fonds has been arranged according to subject and media, and chronologically within specific series.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright restrictions may apply.
Further accruals are expected