Área de título y declaración de responsabilidad
Elias Andrews fonds
Tipo general de material
Otra información de título
Título declaración de responsabilidad
Nivel de descripción
Área de edición
Declaración de edición
Declaración de responsabilidad de edición
Área de detalles específicos de la clase de material
Mención de la escala (cartográfica)
Mención de proyección (cartográfica)
Mención de coordenadas (cartográfica)
Mención de la escala (arquitectónica)
Jurisdicción de emisión y denominación (filatélico)
Área de fechas de creación
- Andrews, Elias
Área de descripción física
0.38 m of textual records, 5 photographs
Área de series editoriales
Título apropiado de las series del editor
Títulos paralelos de serie editorial
Otra información de título de las series editoriales
Declaración de responsabilidad relativa a las series editoriales
Numeración dentro de la serie editorial
Nota en las series editoriales
Área de descripción del archivo
Nombre del productor
Elias Andrews was born on January 29, 1906, at Winterton (formerly Scilly Cove), Newfoundland. In 1922 he entered Methodist College, St. John's (later Prince of Wales College), where he played the organ at the "Young Men's Bible Class" at Gower St. Church.. He received a teaching certificate in 1924 and returned to Winterton as the upper school teacher. During this time he was associated with with the work of the church, particularly the musical aspects of worship.
In 1927 he became a candidate for the Ministry of the United Church and was received by the Carbonear Presbytery. He received a parish with three charges - St. George's, Heatherton, and Boswarlos - on the west coast of Newfoundland. After two years he decided to attend Pine Hill Divinity College in Halifax. He graduated in theology in 1935, was ordained by the Newfoundland Conference and appointed to Deer Lake.
In 1938 he became Professor in Philosophy and Psychology of Religion at Pine Hill and in 1939 entered the graduate school of Drew University in New Jersey. During his second year at Drew, he returned to Pine Hill in acceptance of a permanent teaching position, after completing his Ph.D qualifying examination.
In 1948 he acted as director of the School of Lay Studies at Emanuel College, Toronto and he continued in this position for three summers. In 1955 he was appointed Principal of Queen's Theological College, a position he held until 1970..
Dr. Andrews has been Chairman of the Kingston Presbytery, President of the Bay of Quinte Conference, was twice nominated for the Moderatorship of the United Church of Canada, and holds two honorary degrees - Doctor of Literature (Mount Allison University) and Doctor of Divinity (Pine Hill). In 1974 he retired as Professor at the Queen's Theological College.
In 1941 Dr Andrews married Flora Shannon Green and they had one son. Following the death of Mrs. Andrews, Dr. Andrews married Mildred Jean Caughey of Kingston in 1969.
Andrews is the author of "Modern Humanism and Christian Theism" (1939), "The Meaning of Christ for Paul" (1949), and "Apostle of Grace" (1972).
Historial de custodia
Alcance y contenido
The fonds consists of correspondence, subject files writings, sermons, addresses, and lectures relating to the career of Dr. Andrews and subjects of special interest to him including the history of Newfoundland, the Queen's Theological College and Pine Hill Divinity Hall.The fonds also contains photographs including two studio portraits of Dr. Andrews.
Área de notas
Origen del ingreso
Donated by Elias Andrews, 1982
Idioma del material
Escritura del material
Ubicación de los originales
Disponibilidad de otros formatos
Restricciones de acceso
Certain restrictions apply
Condiciones de uso, reproducción, y publicación
Copyright restrictions may apply.
Instrumentos de descripción
No further accruals are expected