Zona do título e menção de responsabilidade
Elias Andrews fonds
Designação geral do material
Outra informação do título
Título e menções de responsabilidade
Notas ao título
Nível de descrição
Zona de edição
Menção de edição
Menção de responsabilidade da edição
Zona de detalhes específicos de materiais
Menção da escala (cartográfica)
Menção da projecção (cartográfica)
Menção das coordenadas (cartográfico)
Menção da escala (arquitectura)
Autoridade emissora e denominação (filatélica)
Zona de datas de criação
- Andrews, Elias
Zona de descrição física
0.38 m of textual records, 5 photographs
Zona dos editores das publicações
Título próprio do recurso continuado
Títulos paralelos das publicações do editor
Outra informação do título das publicações do editor
Menção de responsabilidade relativa ao editor do recurso contínuo
Numeração das publicações do editor
Nota sobre as publicações do editor
Zona da descrição do arquivo
Nome do produtor
Elias Andrews was born on January 29, 1906, at Winterton (formerly Scilly Cove), Newfoundland. In 1922 he entered Methodist College, St. John's (later Prince of Wales College), where he played the organ at the "Young Men's Bible Class" at Gower St. Church.. He received a teaching certificate in 1924 and returned to Winterton as the upper school teacher. During this time he was associated with with the work of the church, particularly the musical aspects of worship.
In 1927 he became a candidate for the Ministry of the United Church and was received by the Carbonear Presbytery. He received a parish with three charges - St. George's, Heatherton, and Boswarlos - on the west coast of Newfoundland. After two years he decided to attend Pine Hill Divinity College in Halifax. He graduated in theology in 1935, was ordained by the Newfoundland Conference and appointed to Deer Lake.
In 1938 he became Professor in Philosophy and Psychology of Religion at Pine Hill and in 1939 entered the graduate school of Drew University in New Jersey. During his second year at Drew, he returned to Pine Hill in acceptance of a permanent teaching position, after completing his Ph.D qualifying examination.
In 1948 he acted as director of the School of Lay Studies at Emanuel College, Toronto and he continued in this position for three summers. In 1955 he was appointed Principal of Queen's Theological College, a position he held until 1970..
Dr. Andrews has been Chairman of the Kingston Presbytery, President of the Bay of Quinte Conference, was twice nominated for the Moderatorship of the United Church of Canada, and holds two honorary degrees - Doctor of Literature (Mount Allison University) and Doctor of Divinity (Pine Hill). In 1974 he retired as Professor at the Queen's Theological College.
In 1941 Dr Andrews married Flora Shannon Green and they had one son. Following the death of Mrs. Andrews, Dr. Andrews married Mildred Jean Caughey of Kingston in 1969.
Andrews is the author of "Modern Humanism and Christian Theism" (1939), "The Meaning of Christ for Paul" (1949), and "Apostle of Grace" (1972).
Âmbito e conteúdo
The fonds consists of correspondence, subject files writings, sermons, addresses, and lectures relating to the career of Dr. Andrews and subjects of special interest to him including the history of Newfoundland, the Queen's Theological College and Pine Hill Divinity Hall.The fonds also contains photographs including two studio portraits of Dr. Andrews.
Zona das notas
Fonte imediata de aquisição
Donated by Elias Andrews, 1982
Idioma do material
Script do material
Localização de originais
Disponibilidade de outros formatos
Restrições de acesso
Certain restrictions apply
Termos que regulam o uso, reprodução e publicação
Copyright restrictions may apply.
Instrumentos de descrição
No further accruals are expected